History Of Cone Health
Moses H. Cone Bertha L. Cone
From our beginnings in 1911 as a trust established by Bertha Lindau Cone, Cone Health has grown into one of North Carolina’s most extensive and trusted healthcare networks. As we expand to meet our community’s evolving healthcare needs, we continue to honor the values of our founders who believed in accessible healthcare for all, regardless of their ability to pay.
Since caring for our first patient in 1953, our Cone Health experts — 8,600 professionals, 1,000 physicians and 700 volunteers — have been committed to providing exceptional care to our community. Recognized for our world-class expertise and compassionate care, our not-for-profit healthcare network now spans 100 locations, including five hospitals, two medical centers, three urgent care facilities, 56 physician practice sites and multiple Centers of Excellence.
Our Important Dates
1895 - Moses H. Cone and his brother Ceasar build their first denim manufacturing plant in Greensboro, NC, which was later called Cone Mills.
1911 - Bertha Cone establishes a trust fund to build a hospital as a memorial to her husband Moses who died in 1908. Following her death in 1947, Bertha's share of the family inheritance is directed toward the hospital's founding.
February 25, 1953 - The Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital opens to the public with 231 employees and 53 of the 310 beds in service with costs of $8 to $20 per day. The first patient, a toddler, is admitted with a respiratory infection.
1960-1962 - Moses Cone Hospital expands, opening a fifth and sixth floor and North Carolina’s first intensive care unit.
1963 - Four African-American doctors join the medical staff, and Moses Cone Hospital becomes the first integrated hospital in Greensboro before the U.S. Supreme Court’s legislation requires it in 1964.
1974 - Another expansion project at Moses Cone Hospital adds a radiology department, emergency department and more patient beds.
1990 – The Women's Hospital of Greensboro opens as North Carolina's first free-standing hospital dedicated solely to women and newborns. It is later renamed Women’s Hospital.
1995 – Moses Cone Hospital and The Women’s Hospital of Greensboro become Moses Cone Health System.
1997 - Wesley Long Hospital joins the Moses Cone Health System. The Moses Cone-Wesley Long Community Health Foundation is created and is later renamed the Cone Health Foundation.
1999 - One of Greensboro's oldest and largest private physician groups, LeBauer HealthCare, joins the Moses Cone Health System.
2000 - The 80-bed Behavioral Health Center opens to provide behavioral health services to children, adolescents and adults suffering from acute psychiatric and substance-abuse conditions. The center is later renamed Behavioral Health Hospital.
2001 - Annie Penn Hospital, a 110-bed facility founded 1930 in Reidsville, joins the Moses Cone Health System.
2002 - The Moses Cone Health System Regional Cancer Center opens at Wesley Long Hospital to provide comprehensive services in cancer prevention and treatment. Today, it is called the Cone Health Cancer Center.
2011 - Moses Cone Health System is re-branded as Cone Health with a tagline of "The Network for Exceptional Care."
2012 - Cone Health Medical Group is formed with more than 400 physicians in the Triad area.
2013 – Cone Health completes the installation of an integrated, leading-edge electronic medical records system with secure and ready access to patient medical history from anywhere within the network.