Academy of Progressive Care Nursing
When you join Cone Health’s Academy of Progressive Nursing Care Begin, you begin your career by caring for patients who face a high risk of needing more intensive care. You’ll continue your education and gain hands-on clinical experience that prepares you to work in a step-down or progressive care department.
What You’ll Learn
Learn how to monitor patients and recognize signs of instability, and build competency in the full spectrum of technologies and therapies used in modern progressive and step-down care settings.
What To Expect
As a new graduate registered nurse in the Academy of Progressive Nursing Care, you’ll participate in:
- Core classes in progressive care and intermediate-acuity nursing, with opportunities for continuing education hours
- An advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) course
- Medical simulation scenarios in our patient simulation lab
- Shadowing experienced nurses in the emergency department, eICU (virtual intensive care unit) and other areas of interest
- Clinical rotations through up to five different progressive care/intermediate care departments at The Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital
Each week, you can expect to spend about 24 hours in nursing units and 12 hours participating in academy-specific activities. Learn more about nursing academies at Cone Health.
After the Academy
After completing the Academy of Progressive Care Nursing, apply to a Cone Health intermediate-acuity department of your choice and proceed through the standard interview process. Stay in touch with your peers and continue your learning with monthly workshops and paid time away from the hospital engaging in fun and rejuvenating activities with fellow new grad nurses and a mentor leader.
For More Information
To learn more about the Academy of Progressive Care Nursing, contact our nursing recruitment specialists via email or at 866-266-3767, or email the academy’s nurse educators, Heather Tripp and Belinda Hammond.