Prescription Drug Disposal
Which is the best place to dispose of unused or expired prescription medications?
A. The toilet?
B. The trash?
C. A designated drop box?
The answer is C. DESIGNATED DROP BOX.
Placing precriptions into a designated drop box keeps medications out of our water supply and out of the hands of people who retrieve them from the trash to sell on the street or use themselves. It also protects your family members from misuse of drugs that can be dangerous or even deadly. The majority of teens abusing prescription drugs get them from their home medicine cabinets.
- Expired or unused medications
- Over the counter medications
- Medication samples
- Pet medications
- Medicated ointments and lotions
- Liquid Medications (Liquids cannot be accepted at the Greensboro Police Department drop boxes)
- Remove all personal information and place items in a sealed baggie before placing in the drop box.
- IV Bags
- Bloody or infectious Waste
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Empty containers
- Personal care products
For more information and to locate permanent drop boxes throughout NC, please visit the Safe Kids NC website.