Volunteering at Annie Penn
Annie Penn Hospital wants to add you to our team of dedicated and committed volunteers. We proudly serve Reidsville, NC, and our surrounding communities in Rockingham County and southern Virginia. We offer the latest in healthcare technology in a small, community-based hospital.
We coordinate a year-round adult volunteer program and a junior volunteer program for teenagers during the summer. Our volunteers play a vital role in helping us deliver exceptional care to our patients.
Who Are We Looking For?
Our ideal volunteer candidate is one who genuinely wants to serve others and make a difference in the daily lives of our patients, visitors and staff. We hold our volunteers in very high regard and believe they are critical to providing our patients with a positive experience.
Adult Volunteer Requirements
Adult volunteers joining our team must commit to a minimum of six months or 60 hours of service. To ensure the safety of our volunteers and those we serve, we have the following requirements:
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Application packet must be completed and include two references.
- Candidates must provide photo identification.
- Proof of immunizations, including seasonal vaccines, is required.
- Background check must meet criteria for consideration.
- Volunteer orientation and annual safety refreshers must be completed along with TB testing and flu vaccination.
- Hospital-issued ID badge must be worn while on duty.
- Other requirements as deemed necessary by prevailing health and safety policies must be followed.
Junior (Teen) Volunteer Program
Volunteer opportunities are available during the summer months for teenagers, turning 14 by June 1st of the year they plan to volunteer. A 7-week commitment is required.
Shifts are available Monday-Friday during normal business hours.
Call (336) 951-4559 for details on how to become a youth volunteer.
How To Become A Volunteer
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, first call our office at (336) 951-4559 to inquire about our openings.
Our application packets are available at the Main Lobby information desk. The package includes an application, reference forms, immunization and flu vaccination verification records, and permission to complete a criminal background check. Once your background check has been completed, our Annie Penn Hospital Volunteer Services Department will call you to schedule an interview.
All new and returning volunteers must complete a general orientation session. This session is mandatory and will cover all basic policies, safety procedures, customer service standards and other information essential for your success. Our two-hour session is scheduled at a mutually agreeable time.
Volunteer Service Opportunities
Currently, our available volunteer positions include: Cancer Center, Gift Shop Manager, Parking Transportation Services and Hospitality Cart.
- Information Desk/Greeter: Our Information Desks are located in both the Main Lobby and Short Stay areas. Information Desk volunteers greet patients, staff and visitors, and provide information such as patient room numbers and directions. They also forward inquiries to the appropriate departments. In addition, they escort patients, communicate with visitors in the waiting areas, keep the waiting areas neat, run errands and perform light clerical work as requested. Shifts are available seven days a week.
- Cancer Center: Volunteers working in our Cancer Center transport patients, assist with meals, answer phones, perform clerical duties and sit with patients while they receive treatment. Shifts are available Monday through Friday, morning or afternoon.
- Childcare: Cone Health operates a childcare center at Woodmont United Methodist Church in Reidsville. Volunteers help supervise children in their classes during nap time. Volunteers also answer phones, run errands and perform basic cleaning. Shifts are available Monday through Friday during normal business hours.
- Clerical: Volunteers help with filing, sorting, labeling, answering phones, computer entry and typing. We welcome all skill levels. Typically, shifts are Monday through Friday during normal business hours.
- Courier Service: Volunteers pickup and deliver inter-hospital mail on a regular route schedule. Shifts are available Monday through Friday during normal business hours.
- Emergency Department: volunteers act as liaisons between patients, staff and family. They ensure that our hospital visitation rules are followed, contact family members, escort patients, give directions and run errands. They also help stock rooms and answer phones. Shifts are available afternoons, nights and weekends.
- Gift Shop Manager: Annie’s Corner Gift Ship is one of our Hospital Auxiliary’s main fundraising vehicles. Volunteers welcome customers, perform light cleaning, calculate purchases, assist with inventory and rearrange displays. Shifts are available Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Parking Transportation Services: Our transportation services volunteers provide shuttle service for patients and visitors to and from the hospital parking areas. Applicants must have a clean DMV record and a current driver’s license. Shifts are available Monday through Friday during normal working hours.
- Hospitality Cart: Volunteers visit patient floors either at 7:30 a.m. to deliver coffee and newspapers or at 2:30 p.m. to offer cold drinks and snacks.
- Penn Nursing Center: Volunteers assist residents with activities, celebrations and services. They also help transport patients to activities and the dining room. Volunteers may also read, talk and provide companionship to residents. Shifts are available seven days a week.
Annie Penn Hospital
618 S. Main Street
Reidsville, NC 27320
Director of Volunteer Services: Sharon Troxler