Volunteering at Wesley Long Hospital & Cone Health Cancer Center
Please consider volunteering with our hospital or with our Cone Health Cancer Center. Not only will you benefit from the personal satisfaction of helping others, you will be providing a valuable service for the people of our community.
When considering volunteer applications, we value teamwork, compassion, a caring attitude and respect for confidentiality. We invite you to explore the many opportunities our exceptional hospital and our Cancer Center have to offer.
For our volunteers, the opportunity to give is more than just the hours they spend with us. Whether our volunteers have made another’s job easier, helped comfort a patient or assisted a family member, our volunteers say their experiences give them a strong sense of personal satisfaction beyond what they could have imagined.
Who Are We Looking For?
Our ideal volunteer candidate is someone who genuinely wants to serve others and make a difference in the daily lives of our patients, visitors and staff. Every assignment completed by a volunteer supports our efforts to provide exemplary care. Our ideal volunteer knows that there are no small tasks when it comes to serving others.
- Clerical Projects/Department Assistants: Volunteers perform a wide range of support for various departments such as filing, collating, addressing and stuffing envelopes, answering phones and running errands.
- Emergency Department: Volunteers serve as liaisons between families, patients and medical staff. They provide regular nonmedical updates, check on patients and assist with special needs. Only night shifts are available.
- Information Desk: Volunteers greet and provide patient room numbers and directional information to visitors entering at the main entrance. Computer skills are helpful.
- Shuttle Van Driver: Volunteers transport visitors and patients from their vehicles to the main entrance. A clean driving record is required.
- Nursing Units: Volunteers provide assistance to patients under the direction of hospital staff. Activities may include sitting with patients, serving beverages, assisting with meal trays, answering call buttons and running errands.
- Gift Shop: Volunteers assist customers, ring sales, display merchandise and assist with inventory.
- Surgical Waiting Room: Volunteers provide nonmedical updates and serve as liaisons between the family, medical staff and recovery room staff.
- Cancer Center: Volunteers assist staff and provide patients who receive chemo with drinks, snacks, magazines and warm blankets.
- Hospitality Cart: Volunteers offer beverages to patients, families and visitors in the waiting rooms and lobbies.
- Admitting: Volunteers assist in the registration process and escort patients to the appropriate department.
- Knitting/Sewing Ministry: Volunteers knit prayer shawls and sew various pillows for cancer patients.
We ask that all of our adult volunteers commit to a minimum of 60 hours of service within a 12-month period, serving at least one two- to four-hour shift per week. Morning and afternoon shifts are available in most service areas. Evening and weekend shifts are available in some service areas.
How to Become a Volunteer
Attend a mandatory volunteer information session at:
The Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital
Second Thursday of each month
Solarium (Third Floor Central Wing)
Fourth Tuesday of each month
Solarium (Third Floor Central Wing)
Our information sessions give potential volunteers an opportunity to learn more about the numerous opportunities and expectations related to volunteerism for Wesley Long Hospital and the Cone Health Cancer Center.
Once you have attended a mandatory information session and your volunteer application has been accepted, you will be given information regarding our orientation program and available volunteer opportunities.