Nurse Extern Program
A 10-Week Summer Work Experience
Our Nurse Extern Program gives you the unique opportunity to apply the knowledge you have gained in the academic setting in a hands-on clinical setting. You will benefit from the expertise of specialized nursing staff and work with diverse patient populations. We have many exciting clinical settings that will give you a "head start" on you senior year and as you begin your career in nursing.
How The Program Works
- Your externship will include an assignment at one of our five Magnet designated hospitals.
- At the completion of the program, we will have a celebration in honor of your success.
Our Program Offers You
- One-on-one precepting. You will be paired with an experienced RN and work side-by-side caring for a specific patient population.
- Opportunity to shadow other specialties.
- A series of educational opportunities in Staff Education.
- Continued work opportunities in part-time or relief positions at the end of the program.
Who May Participate
- Currently enrolled in a nursing program and rising senior.
- Available to work 36-40 hours per week for 10 weeks during the summer months.
- Listed as a Nurse Aide I and II with the Nurse Aid Registry and North Carolina Board of Nursing before the start of the program.
- You may apply while waiting for CNA listings.
- Click here to apply.
- Completed application must be received by November 29, 2013 to be considered.
- Completed application will include official/unofficial school transcript, 3 instructor references, and the application supplement (forms are included in application packet). Please ensure reference forms have been forwarded to prior employer and clinical instructors.
- Internal Employees – Complete an internal transfer request. One of your references should be from your current Department Director.
- Scan/upload or drop off completed application at the Human Resources Department, 200 E. Northwood Street, Suite 301, Greensboro, NC 27401-1020.
For program inquiries, please call
For application process and status, please call Talent Acquisition at (866) 266-3767.