North Tower: At A Glance
Cone Health is celebrating another milestone in their growth as a multi-hospital healthcare system with the renovations and construction of the North Tower. Representing the largest expansion in the hospital's history, the North Tower will include many features and services to enhance Cone Health's commitment to the community and their healthcare needs.
Cost and Expansion
- Total estimated cost (including North Tower, Central Plant and other related capital improvements): $199,231,052.
- Total square footage of new construction for the North Tower: 263,713 square feet.
- Total square footage of renovated space for the North Tower: 83,000 square feet.
- Total square footage of the central energy plant (being built to support the North Tower): Approximately 16,200 square feet.
- Total number of private patient rooms: 96 acute care beds.
- Total number of operating rooms: 16.
- Square footage of operating rooms: 722 square feet for open heart operating rooms; 672 square feet for all others (current operating rooms range from 475 to 600 square feet).
- The emergency department will be expanded from 64 treatment areas to 78.
- The emergency department will be organized into "pods" which will increase efficiency by dividing treatment areas into smaller, more private sub-units.
- North Tower will be a contender for Silver Level LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification.
- North Tower will be the first medical facility in North Carolina and one of only three hospitals in the United States to heat and cool patient rooms with "chilled beams" - an advance in heating and air-conditioning systems that uses water to decrease energy use.
North Tower Project Team
- Architect firm for the project: Perkins+Will from Charlotte.
- Contractor for the project: Brasfield & Gorrie General Contractors from Raleigh.
- Engineering firm for the project: Affiliated Engineers Inc. from Chapel Hill.
- Construction of the central energy plant: Completed July 2011
- Estimated completion date of new construction for North Tower: June 2013.
- Estimated completion date of renovations for North Tower: January 2015.