For The Media
Cone Health is committed to being a national leader in quality, service and cost in everything we do. This includes being transparent and responsive in dealing with media while at the same time protecting the privacy of our patients.
We hope that the information below will help you in your coverage of Cone Health. Should you have questions, contact the External Communications Manager at (336) 832-8659.
Release of Patient Information
At Cone Health, protecting the privacy and confidentiality of patients and patient information is of utmost importance. The release of patient information is done in accordance with federal guidelines set through HIPPA, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
With patient authorization, a one word condition will be released for good, fair, serious, critical or deceased.
- Good - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are excellent.
- Fair - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable.
- Serious - Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.
- Critical - Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.
- Undetermined - Patient is being assessed by medical staff.
- Deceased - The death of a patient will only be reported after the family has been told.
HIPPA allows a patient to "opt-out" of the release of any information regarding their condition. In this case, a condition cannot be released nor can it be acknowledged that the individual is a patient at a Cone Health facility.
Interview and Photography Requests
Please contact Doug Allred, External Communications Manager at (336) 832-8659 for:
- Interview requests for Cone Health physicians, staff or patients.
- To shoot photos or videos at any Cone Health facility.
All journalists must be escorted by a member of the Cone Health marketing team during their time on a Cone Health campus.
Disaster / Crisis Guidelines
If a disaster occurs, patient care is the first priority at Cone Health. However, any of your requests or needs will be met as soon as possible.
In the case of a disaster/crisis, the newsroom section of conehealth.com will be updated by the Marketing staff at regular intervals or as news occurs.
- Media members will be required to show identification to gain entry to Cone Health facilities.
- All members of the media must be escorted by a representative of the marketing department to the emergency area or media center.
- Information will be released in 60 minute intervals, or as news occurs. Updates will be provided regularly on ConeHealth.com and Cone Health social media platforms.
- If a media center is opened, question cards will be provided to the media for specific requests or questions to be answered during briefings.
- All requests for information or interviews should be made to marketing staff only.
- Marketing will facilitate and coordinate media access to the hospital, administrators, physicians, religious personnel, patients, family and friends during the crisis.
- Designated "safe zones" will be identified for cell phone use.
We have several corporate logos available for download.
For reproduction purposes, the PMS colors are 282 (dark blue) and 320 (teal). The logo may only be printed in these colors:
1. The specified PMS colors.
2. All PMS 282 (dark blue).
3. All black.
The logo must not print in other colors without approval from Marketing. Call 832-8131 if you have a question about color usage.
News media requesting Cone Health photos for use in their publications should contact the Cone Health marketing department at 336-832-8131 or firstname.lastname@example.org