Skip to Content

Advance Directive

Living WillIf you are 18 or older and mentally competent, you have the right to make decisions about your medical care. Advance Directives, which consist of a Living Will and a Health Care Power of Attorney, are legal forms that help you do that. A Living Will lets you state your wishes about medical care. A Health Care Power of Attorney lets you name a person to make healthcare decisions for you if you become unable to make decisions on your own.

Our hospitals have information available to help you prepare an Advance Directive. Forms are available at nursing stations or you can print them out from this page. In addition, our chaplains and clinical social workers are available to help you complete them. If you already have an Advance Directive prepared, please arrange to have a copy brought to the hospital.

For more information on Advance Directives, contact the Department for Spiritual Care and Wholeness at (336) 832-7950.