Greensboro Hospital Services Reinvented
We are committed to providing the highest quality care and service to improve the health of our communities for decades to come.
This portal will provide you with the facts surrounding the planned changes to how women’s services, behavioral health services and operative services will be offered in the Greensboro area. These changes will occur in stages between 2016 and 2019.
We will post updates here as the process continues.
Women’s and Children's Services (New Women's Hospital)
What: A 50,000 sq. ft. addition will be added to the west side of The Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital. It will have its own entrance, separate elevators and a separate parking area for patients and families. The objective is to recreate the special environment of Women's Hospital while also enhancing quality and the health care efficiency for women at multiple stages of their lives.
- Locates women's and children's services to the same campus, which will bring improved quality and convenience to the community.
- Brings women closer to the specialists and advanced services available at Moses Cone Hospital, while maintaining the special environment that Women’s Hospital offers women across the Triad.
- Increases the amount of space in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit including the possibility for parents to spend nights on the unit with their baby.
- Includes larger operating rooms for women's services to accommodate the increasing amount of technology used in surgery.
- 2015: Cone Health seeks state approval for move.
- 2016: Anticipated groundbreaking.
- Early 2019: The new Women's Hospital opens on the Moses Cone Hospital campus.
These images are artist conceptions only. Actual design work will occur in the coming months.
Behavioral Health Services
What: Continuing to redesign behavioral health care in a multi-phase project resulting in the relocation of outpatient behavioral health services to enhance care for patients who do not require hospitalization. Then, construct a new Behavioral Health Hospital that better serves individuals needing inpatient care.
Why: To help mental health patients stay well, get them through the tough times when they need it and return them to productive lives more quickly than ever before.
- On-going: Continue to redesign the way we provide behavioral health care for our community.
- 2015: Complete renovations to the current Behavioral Health Hospital.
- 2016: Move outpatient behavioral health services from Behavioral Health Hospital to a location with improved access for patients.
- 2018: Begin construction of a new Behavioral Health Hospital.
- 2019: The new Cone Health Behavioral Health Hospital is expected to open.
Wesley Long Hospital and Operative Services
What: Renovation of operating rooms to create larger, more contemporary facilities and expansion of pre- and post-surgery areas.
Why: The relocation of women’s services to Moses Cone Hospital provides the opportunity to take an in-depth look at how we are delivering surgical services across Greensboro.
- 2015: Seek state approval for changes.
- 2016: Renovation and expansion of surgical areas begins.
- Spring 2018: Project completion.
Additional Project Details
Impact on Staff
We don't expect job losses to result from these projects. We are committed to using turnover and retraining staff during the next five years as needed.
The projects are expected to represent a $100 million investment during the next five years. The Cone Health Board of Trustees will review any investment at a later date.