Is Bariatric Surgery Right For You?
Candidates for bariatric surgery are people who have remained severely obese after trying other non-surgical approaches or who have an obesity-related disease.
To be eligible for surgery with our program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of at least 40 but no greater than 60, or have a BMI of 35 with co-morbidities. People with a BMI of 60 or greater may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Be between the ages of 18 and 65 years of age. People over 65 may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- No severe psychological or medical conditions that would make surgery a high risk.
- Not be drug or alcohol dependent, unless involved in a recognized treatment program with at least one year of sobriety.
- Have attempted other medical weight-loss programs.
- Are highly motivated to achieve a change in lifestyle.
- Have the support of family and friends.
- Be psychologically stable with realistic expectations of outcome.
Keep in mind that bariatric surgery is a serious undertaking. Anyone considering this type of operation should understand that the surgery will require you to consume fewer calories. To get the maximum benefits from the procedure, you must commit to permanent lifestyle changes. Also, your health insurance company may have additional criteria or exceptions for weight-loss surgery. We will help you review all the factors to ensure that this procedure is right for you.