Nutrition and Diabetes Management
Studies have linked unhealthy eating habits to a range of long-term health issues, including cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, depression, stroke, sleep apnea, fatigue, stress and more. At Cone Health’s Nutrition and Diabetes Management Center, we help you manage your weight or diabetes, and improve your overall health through proper diet, nutrition and fitness.
Our exceptional professionals understand that what, when and how much you eat can impact your weight, diabetes and more. By helping you to develop and follow a solid dietary plan, we support your efforts to improve your health and well-being. And, most importantly, with our guidance and support, you don’t have to do it alone.
Our team of registered dietitians and certified diabetes educators offer a full range of diet and fitness counseling and education services.
We help adults, children and even families meet goals in a way that fits even the busiest lifestyles. Our programs include:
- Nutrition programs.
- Medical nutrition therapy.
- Corporate nutrition programs.
- Surgery weight management counseling and support.
- Pre-diabetes counseling.
- Understanding your diagnosis and taking charge of diabetes.
- Outpatient insulin administration, insulin pump training and continuous blood glucose monitoring.
- Gestational diabetes (diabetes developed during pregnancy).
- Counseling for pregnant patients with pre-existing diabetes.
- Programs for you and your baby.
- Pediatric diabetes program.
Our Diabetes Management CORE Curriculum
Do you need help understanding your diabetes diagnosis? Do you need assistance monitoring your glucose levels, especially as you balance your busy personal schedule?
Living with diabetes can be manageable, but often you may need some additional assistance. That’s why our Nutrition and Diabetes Management Center offers a special Diabetes CORE curriculum class designed to support our diabetic patients in goal setting for a healthier future.
Our four-class curriculum includes:
Assessment and basic survival skills. Our first class focuses on the basics, including your initial diabetes assessment. We provide basic diabetes education about physiology, nutrition, glucose monitoring, self-management skills and goal-setting.
Diabetes self-care and long-term complications. During this class, we discuss exercise guidelines, blood glucose monitoring, medications, sick-day management, diabetes complications and foot care.
Carbohydrate counting and nutrition plans. During this class, we discuss meal planning, nutrition needs and how to live a heart-healthy life. Also, we talk about weight management and setting three-month goals.
Support for your new lifestyle. Our final class focuses on stress management and the continual commitment it takes to achieve long-term goals.
For participants who do not currently test their blood levels, we offer a 30-minute glucose monitoring session with a certified diabetes educator.
Children's Nutritional Services
A lifetime of healthy eating begins from day one. Getting children onboard with sensible food choices at an early age sets a solid foundation for a healthy lifestyle.
Our Children’s Nutritional Services experts specialize in weight and diabetes management education for children from infancy through the teen years.
Our services include:
- Infant nutrition.
- Childhood diabetes.
- Food allergies and intolerances.
- Gastrointestinal problems.
- Abnormal cholesterol.
- Eating disorders.
- Weight gain or loss.
- Failure to thrive.
Appointments for our nutrition and diabetes management services are by referral only unless self-paid.
Simply follow these easy steps to complete our referral process and form:
- Call your primary care physician (PCP) and request a referral to Cone Health’s Nutrition and Diabetes Management Center.
- Have your PCP send a referral order and your medical information to our center.
- Our staff will call you to schedule your appointment and mail you confirmation and pre-registration forms to complete.
- Please bring your patient registration form, your insurance card and copay to your first visit. If you prefer, you can fax your patient registration form to us prior to your appointment at (336) 832-3240.
Private insurers, Medicare and Medicaid may cover a majority of our services. Please consult with your insurance provider to determine your specific coverage benefits for nutrition, diabetes education and/or counseling. Cone Health offers financial counseling and self-pay is accepted.
Call our Cone Health Nutrition and Diabetes Management Center at (336) 832-3236.