Language is a vital, uniquely human quality. Speech and language disorders caused by injury or illness can hinder our ability to communicate, isolating us from the outside world. They can interfere with family life, career advancement, and our ability to learn new information and skills.
At Cone Health, we offer a variety of speech therapy services for a range of medical conditions.
We offer speech therapy services for various medical conditions:
- Speech, language or cognitive disorders from stroke, brain injury or other injury.
- Speech after removal of the larynx (laryngectomy).
- Swallowing difficulties (dysphagia).
- Voice therapy in Parkinson’s disease.
Swallowing or speech difficulties related to head/neck cancer, before and after surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation treatment.
If you have a communication or swallowing disorder, our certified speech and language pathologists can conduct an evaluation to determine your strengths and limitations in the following areas:
- Cognition, including memory, attention, organization and problem solving.
- Speech to assess production and intelligibility.
- Language, including comprehension and expression.
- Voice to assess vocal quality and provide a vocal hygiene program.
- Difficulty swallowing, including assessing the viability of VitalStim®, a non-invasive, external electrical stimulation therapy.
We also perform pre-operative laryngectomy counseling, as well as postoperative therapy to determine your communication needs, discuss options and provide training.
Based on our assessment, we will work with you and your family to outline treatment goals and develop the best individualized plan of care.
Our goal is to return you to your home and community with the highest level of independence possible.
For more information, we welcome you to download our brochure.
Speech therapy is located at our 912 Third Street in Greensboro. For more information, call (336) 271-2054.