Stroke Recovery & Rehabilitation
Stroke recovery is an ongoing journey. Count on Cone Health to be by your side as you work toward improving your or your loved one’s independence and quality of life.
What to Expect After a Stroke
Stroke affects everyone differently. Your Cone Health care team will tell you how long you or your loved one needs to stay in the hospital and explain the stroke’s impact. Learn about what to expect after a stroke.
After a stroke, partner with Cone Health rehabilitation professionals to gain skills that help you live well after stroke. Work closely with your rehab team to set personal goals and create an individualized plan to:
- Build strength and endurance
- Increase cognitive and communication skills
- Improve mobility and self-care skills
- Prevent future strokes
Options for Stroke Rehab
Take advantage of rehabilitation services in the setting that meets your needs:
- Inpatient stroke rehabilitation – Stay at the Cone Health Inpatient Rehabilitation Center and participate in intensive daily therapy that helps you work toward returning home. The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association recommends stroke survivors who are medically able to participate in inpatient rehabilitation choose this option to maximize their recovery and quality of life. Stroke survivors spend an average of 15 days in our specialized program.
- Outpatient stroke rehabilitation – Live at home and regularly visit a rehabilitation center near you for one-on-one therapy in our outpatient Stroke Rehab Program.
- Short- or long-term nursing care – If our inpatient program isn’t a fit for you but you’re not ready to return home, ask your care team about a short- or long-term nursing care that fits your needs. For safe, supportive, 24/7 care that’s part of the Cone Health network, choose Penn Nursing Center or Edgewood Place at The Village at Brookwood. Both have above-average quality ratings from The Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS)
Your care team will help you decide which program is right for you. If you need to shift from one setting to another, rely on us to make the transition as seamless as possible.
Find a Support Network
Look to Cone Health to help you cope with the life changes caused by stroke. Enjoy family and caregiver education from your rehab team. Or join a stroke support group to connect with others facing similar challenges.