Basic Life Support (CPR) Training
Basic Life Support classes are offered to the community based on class availability. To inquire about registering for these classes, call 832-7387.
If you are a Cone Health employee, the Heartcode BLS course will be assigned to your HLC(Healthstream) to-do list up to 90 days before your cpr expiration date. If you have not received the assignment, contact the Cone Health AHA Training Center at: email@example.com.
CPR Course Frequently Asked Questions
What is the AHA BLS Provider classroom-based course?
This video-based, instructor-led course teaches both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both in- and out-of-hospital settings.
This course trains participants to promptly recognize several life-threatening emergencies, give high-quality chest compressions, deliver appropriate ventilations and provide early use of an AED. It includes adult, child, and infant rescue techniques. This course also teaches relief of choking.
Who is the target audience for this course?
This course is designed for healthcare professionals and other personnel who need to know how to perform CPR and other basic cardiovascular life support skills in a wide variety of in- and out-of-hospital settings. This audience includes nurses, physicians, EMS professionals, students in a healthcare program at a university/college, allied health professionals (physical therapists, occupational therapist, athletic trainers, etc.) and others who may need training in basic life support skills.
What is the format for this classroom-based course?
AHA BLS Providers teaches skills using the AHA's Practice-While-Watching technique, which allows instructors to observe the students, provide feedback and guide the students' acquisition of skills. Skills practice is included throughout the AHA BLS Providers Course. The course also includes skills testing and a written test to ensure students demonstrate competency performing skills and have mastered knowledge of cognitive information.
Can I take an Online AHA Course to become certified?
Yes, however there are 2 steps.
- Complete the Heartcode BLS online course at the AHA website and print out a completion certificate.
- Complete a 30 minute skills test at the Staff Education Dept., 200 E Northwood St, rm#417. Currently Skills Tests are scheduled several times per week. Call 832-7387 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do you complete the Online AHA Course?
- Go to www.onlineaha.org. This is the ONLY approved website for meeting the AHA course requirement.
- Locate the Course Catalog.
- Choose the Heartcode BLS online course.
- Click Purchase.
- Enter Log In and Password or Register as a new user.
- Follow instructions on each screen.
- Complete the online course (1-2 hours).
- Complete course evaluation.
- Print certificate. You MUST bring the certificate as documentation that you completed Part 1 of the course.
- Call the Staff Education Department at 832-7387 to schedule a skills check-off.
- Bring certificate to Staff Education Department (located at 200 E. Northwood Street, Suite 400).
- Complete skills check-offs with CPR instructor. Card will be issued onsite.
How much are your CPR courses?
- AHA Heartcode BLS Skills Test - $30
- *All fees to be paid by cash or check at the time of attendance.
Are you required to be a Cone Health employee to take a CPR course?
No. However, enrollment is limited. Email email@example.com to check for available slots.
Where is Staff Education located?
The Nursing Education Center is located at 200 E. Northwood Street, Greensboro NC 27401 (Northwood Building, 4th Floor).
Take N. Church Street toward direction of hospital (in the opposite direction of the Office Depot on the corner). Make a left onto E. Northwood Street. Make a left onto Olive Street. Take first right into upper level of the employee only parking deck at 200 E. Northwood.
Take stairwell to ground floor of parking lot and enter building at the main entrance. Take main elevators to the 4th floor.