Clinical Pastoral Education at Moses Cone Hospital
The Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) program based at The Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital is accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education Inc., Decatur, GA, (ACPE) and recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Post-Secondary Education as an Accredited Center. Our program offers CPE at Levels I and II through a One-year Residency and a Summer Intern unit.
What is CPE?
CPE is interfaith professional education for ministry for:
- Theological students
- Ordained clergy (pastors, priests, rabbis, imams and others)
- Members of religious orders
- Qualified lay persons and helping professionals
Students provide help to people in crisis situations while being supervised.
How CPE Works
Out of an intense involvement with these persons and the feedback from peers, teachers and supervisors, students develop new awareness of themselves, responsiveness to the needs of those to whom they minister, and are challenged to improve the quality of their pastoral relationships. We believe that authentic, sensitive and compassionate pastoral relationships are enhanced through pastoral encounters, written case studies, didactic presentations, professional reading, critical reflection and individual supervision. By critically reflecting on challenging circumstances from a wide diversity of perspectives students can expand their understanding about human suffering, integrate their theology or spirituality with life experience, and develop their capacity to be a healing presence.
Guided by the mission and values of Cone Health, the Department for Spiritual Care and Wholeness is committed to providing a Clinical Pastoral Education program of excellence.
Where We Serve
We offer interdisciplinary opportunities for learning and ministry in the following areas:
- Behavioral health
- Intensive care units
- Level II Trauma Center (adult and pediatric)
- Oncology (inpatient and outpatient services)
- Palliative care
- Rehabilitation services
- Vascular medicine
- Women’s health services
We also include patients’ family and medical staff in our circle of care.
Veterans & International Students
The CPE Center at Cone Health is eligible to participate in these federal programs:
- International Exchange Visitors Program
- Veterans Educational (tuition) Benefits
I. 12-month Residency Program in Pastoral Care:
- Prerequisites: (1) One completed and ACPE accredited unit of CPE. (2) Ordained, licensed, commissioned clergy person or licensed helping professional.
- Recommended: Earned M.Div. (or equivalent) from an ATS accredited institution.
- Dates: September of the current year and ending in late August of the following year.
- Number of Positions: Five stipend positions.
II. Summer Intern Unit.
- Prerequisites: Earned B.A. from a Regionally Accredited college or university
- Recommended: One to two years of theological, religious, or equivalent studies at the bachelor’s and/or graduate level.
- Dates: Early June through the latter half of August.
- Positions: Six Summer Intern positions.
Application fee: $40 non-refundable (for all programs).
I. Residency Year: $400 for the year (Please note that there is an “Acceptance Fee” of $200 for the Resident Program. This fee is applied to the total tuition, and is non-refundable.)
II. Summer Intern Unit: $400
III. Extended/Community Unit: $400
The process for selecting applicants is continuous and is based on a rolling admissions policy. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. In submitting applications, please complete the ACPE application form [DOC] and the Agreement to Circulate [PDF] or call or write:
Caroline Phillips, M.Div, LCSW
Department for Spiritual Care and Wholeness
1200 N. Elm Street
Greensboro, NC 27401
Direct: (336) 832-3350; Department: (336) 832-7950
This program is accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education Inc., One West Court Square, Suite 325, Decatur, GA 30030. Telephone: (404) 320-1472; FAX: (404) 320-0849; Email: email@example.com and by the United States Department of Education, Washington, DC.
Cone Health also offers a Clinical Pastoral Education program based at Alamance Regional Medical Center in Burlington.