Cone Health Nurse Extern Program
Apply your classroom learning to a hands-on clinical setting with Cone Health’s Nurse Extern Program. You’ll benefit from the knowledge and guidance of experienced registered nurses as you work together to care for patients.
Student Nurse Summer Externship
Spend seven weeks during the summer working as an extern a Cone Health hospital. During your externship, you’ll:
- Work side-by-side with an experienced registered nurse (RN) to care for a specific patient population
- Take advantage of staff education opportunities
Extern at a Magnet® Designated Hospital
You’ll be assigned to Annie Penn Hospital, Behavioral Health Hospital, The Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital, Wesley Long Hospital or Alamance Regional Medical Center. All five facilities hold Magnet® designation, which means you can expect a collaborative workplace that provides high-quality patient care and supports your education, professional growth and leadership development. Those choosing clinical preferences around pregnancy and childbirth will be assigned to the Women's & Children's Center at Moses Cone or Alamance Regional.
Clinical Specialties We Offer
Indicate your clinical preferences when you apply to the program. You may request placement in:
- Critical Care (ICU)
- Emergency Department
- Intermediate Care
- Labor and Delivery
- Medical-Surgical (neurosciences, orthopedics, renal, telemetry, etc.)
Who Can Be a Nurse Extern?
You may apply for the Nurse Extern Program if you are:
- Enrolled in a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or Associates Degree in Nursing (ADN) program.
- Listed as a Nurse Aide I and II with the North Carolina Nurse Aide Registry and North Carolina Board of Nursing before the program begins (You may apply while waiting for Certified Nursing Assistant, or CNA, listings.)
- Available to work 36 to 40 hours per week throughout the program; you may be asked to work evening, night, or rotating shifts.
After the Externship
After completing the program, you have the option to stay on as relief.
For more information about the program, contact Cassandra Galloway, RN (336-832-4369) or view the LPN Extern brochure.