PGY1 Community-Based Pharmacy Residency
Message From The Director:
Thank you for your interest in Community-Based Pharmacy!
We are excited that Cone Health is now offering a Community-Based Pharmacy Residency. This program will be dedicated to developing clinical practitioners through educational opportunities that will enhance the resident’s patient care, leadership, and practice management skills in the community and ambulatory care pharmacy setting. Another goal of the program will be to increase our presence in our community where we can show patients that we are right there with them through new and innovative services. The program will also help foster professional relationships among other health care providers through collaborative and integrative care models.
Courtney B. Isom, PharmD, BCACP, CPP
Residency Program Director
Pharmacy Administrative Coordinator
Cone Health Community Health & Wellness Center Pharmacy
To build upon the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and outcomes to develop community-based pharmacist practitioners with diverse patient care, leadership, and education skills who are eligible to pursue advanced training opportunities including postgraduate year two (PGY2) residencies and professional certifications.
Program Overview and Rotations
Our PGY1 Community-Based residency program is intended to give the resident experiences in community, specialty, and ambulatory care pharmacy. Experiences will include promoting patient care services, increasing community collaboration, building relationships with healthcare providers, improving patient outcomes, and learning to build sustainable clinical services.
Our residency will consist of longitudinal rotations that will be completed throughout the entire year. Typical rotation will consist of an experience for 1-2 days a week for 6-12 months of the residency year. Potential rotation locations include:
- Wesley Long Outpatient Pharmacy
- Moses Cone Outpatient Pharmacy
- Cone Health Specialty Pharmacy
- Community Health and Wellness Clinic
- Med Center High Point Pharmacy and Clinics
- Alamance Regional Outpatient Pharmacy
- Transitions of Care Pharmacies
- Primary and Specialty clinics across Moses Cone, Cone Health Medical Group, and LeBauer
- Orientation – 1 month
- Community Pharmacy (longitudinal)
- Specialty Pharmacy (longitudinal)
- Transitions of Care (longitudinal)
- Ambulatory Care (longitudinal)
- 1-2 clinics in primary or specialty care
- Elective Experiences
- Specialty Pharmacy Administration
- Population Health
- Behavioral Health
- Transitions of Care
- Staff every third weekend and once weekly in a community pharmacy
- Complete a residency research project
- Business plan to justify a new clinical service
- Continuing Education Presentation
- Quality Improvement Project
- Molly Schneider, PharmD, MHA
- Nick Gazda, PharmD, MS, BCPS, CSP
- Stacey Hammer, PharmD, BCPS, BCACP, CPP
- Christen Tatum, PharmD
- Luke Van Ausdall, PharmD, BCACP, CPP
- Ben Brown, PharmD
- Megan Boothby, PharmD, BCPS
Application Deadline is January 3rd, 2022
All Cone Health pharmacy residencies participate in the National Matching Service (NMS) match program. Applicants should register and apply through the central residency application ASHP's PhORCAS.
Please visit the Cone Health Community-Based Pharmacy Residency ASHP listing here to obtain the NMS matching code needed to apply.
When applying through PhORCAS, prospective residents should complete the following:
- Provide a current curriculum vitae and letter of intent.
- Request an official transcript of your grades to be forwarded directly to the PhORCAS Transcripts Department.
- Ask three references that are familiar with your professional and academic background to complete reference documents in PhORCAS. We prefer that you ask clinical faculty members and/or an employer to provide your references.
- We request that your references include comments in at least 10 of the 13 comment boxes on the form in place of writing a traditional letter of recommendation.
- The program specific comment box is optional.
Residency Recruitment Information
Join us for a live webinar on Wednesday, November 10th from 5:30pm-6:30pm EST. Click this link