Internal Medicine Center - Residency Information
The Cone Health Internal Medicine Center is the home of the Internal Medicine Residency Teaching Service.
Located within The Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital, the Internal Medicine Center offers ambulatory care patients convenient access to full hospital services. The Internal Medicine Center physicians provide primary medical care regardless of financial status.
The Internal Medicine Center houses 21 exam rooms, a resident conference room with video support, seven physician consultation rooms, a staff conference room, six care management offices, research and billing offices, and a lab.
The front office, medical records and telecommunication areas provide full registration, check in/out, appointment, and electronic medical record informational services. Appointments are made based on an "open access" system, which provides both same-day physician access and future appointment availability.
One to eight Internal Medicine residents staff clinics every morning and afternoon, supervised by one or more faculty physicians. Attending faculty also conduct direct patient care clinics when not teaching or providing supervision in the inpatient and ambulatory care settings.
Nursing staff is assigned according to physician and patient needs. Clinical nursing staff includes six registered nurses, one certified medical assistant and two nurse techs. Telephone triage is provided by registered nurses in collaboration with attending physicians whenever the clinic is open and by on-call residents after hours.
Front office, medical record and telecommunication services are provided by three full-time admissions services associates.
- Laboratory: Two certified phlebotomists provide expert venipuncture services, including arterial access, point-of-care testing, and an extensive knowledge base regarding testing and ordering procedures
- Social work: A licensed clinical social worker provides on-site consultation and counseling for patients as well as educational programs for both physicians and staff.
- Diabetes support: A certified diabetes educator/registered dietitian provides full-time support, education, consultation and self-management coaching for clients, staff and physicians
- Care management: A financial counselor provides expert guidance to Internal Medicine Center clients regarding available financial aid, processes applications, and recommends county, state and federal programs and services to eligible patients and their families.
- Anticoagulation: Services are offered by a Doctor of Pharmacy during one clinic session each week and when needed.
- Full time clinical pharmacist
- On-site health coach
The Internal Medicine Medical director, department director, assistant nursing director, front office manager and Chief Resident comprise the leadership team and help to coordinate services among physicians, patients and staff as well as to provide direct patient support/care as needed.
Contact the Internal Medicine Center