Skip to Content

Cone Health Nurse Employee - Student Information

There are requirements that must be met if you are going to back to school and would like to complete course work (includes clinical, non-clinical and research) for a nursing program at a Cone Health facility.

Attending an Affiliate School

An affiliate school is a local school program that Cone has an affiliate agreement with for students to come to Cone Health for learning opportunities.

If you are attending a local school program, you will use a Course Work Request form (CWRF).

See form for detailed instructions and requirements. All of our local nursing programs and most NC nursing programs have affiliate agreements with Cone. Your school should be able to confirm this for you.

The CWRF must be sent in by the Academic Point of Contact as verification that the required on-boarding documentation is maintained at the school.  

A new CWRF is needed for every semester at Cone Health.

Attending a Distance Education Nursing Program

Cone Health no longer requires an affiliate agreement for nurse employees attending a distance education accredited school. Instead, an agreement that is established between the student and Cone Health will be used.

See the Individual Student Education Agreement (ISEA) and Requirements form. for detailed instructions. Students will need to clear this with their school and will need to obtain documentation confirming the Out-of-State school's NC BOG approval or SARA documentation must provide. This is a federal regulation and your school will be able to confirm this for you.

A new ISEA is needed for every semester of rotation of work at Cone Health.

Additional Information

  • Employees are not permitted to use their Cone Health employee badge or CHL access when at Cone in the student role. The request forms for a student log-in and ID badge will be sent to the student or school Academic Point of Contact person, when the CWRF or ISEA is confirmed.
  • A preceptor or a Cone Point of Contact person (CPOC) is required for all course work completed at a Cone Health facility.
  • Students must independently acquire a preceptor who can best help them meet their learning needs. Cone Health does not assign preceptors.
  • Any student attending an affiliate school can request to do course work at a Cone Facility. Only employees attending no-affiliate schools will be able to complete course work at a Cone facility.

Please refer to Post-Licensure Nursing Program Students for more information.

Access Your Cone Health Email

EmailCone Health Webmail

Get IT Help For Cone Health Applications

Compuer Help

Get Help Now