Cone Health Opens New Operating Rooms
The four operating rooms at Moses Cone Hospital are specifically designed for brain and back surgeries.
Cone Health has completed four new neurosurgical operating rooms to provide increasingly sophisticated spine and brain treatments for decades to come. The addition is the result of a $10 million investment in the highly regarded neurosciences program at The Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital.
The operating rooms also feature the first U.S. installation of the Brainlab Buzz 2.0 surgical information system. “The new operating rooms enable us to match the quality of our physical space to the level of the extraordinary professionals who care for our patients,” says Moses Cone Hospital President and Cone Health Senior Vice President Mickey Foster.
The operating rooms have several advantages for patients over the ones they replace.
- The operating rooms are larger, making it easier for operating teams to move in and out of ongoing surgery.
- The operating rooms are equipped with the latest imaging technology, improving accuracy for surgeons and reducing risk for patients during intricate procedures.
- The operating rooms allow for tighter temperature and humidity control, ensuring exceptional surgical care for patients.
- One operating room has advanced equipment that allows vascular surgeons to join neurosurgeons in highly specialized treatments.
“When we couple the skill of our dedicated teams with this new space and technology, our community and patients will benefit in many ways,” says neurosurgeon Joseph Stern, MD, a member of Carolina Neurosurgery and Spine Associates. “We are so pleased to see the vision, the forward thinking and the commitment of resources to truly take exceptional care to the next level for this community.”
Recent national ratings indicate the quality of Cone Health’s neurosurgery and neurological services.
- Cone Health is ranked third in the nation for spinal fusion and fourth in the nation for spinal surgery in the 2017 medical excellence category by CareChex. (First in North Carolina in both categories.) Spinal surgery at Cone Health is provided by both neurosurgical and orthopedic services.
- In 2016, Becker’s Hospital Review named Cone Health among “100 hospitals and health systems with great neurosurgery and spine programs.”
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina has named Cone Health a Blue Distinction Center+ for Spine Surgery, indicating a combination of both exceptional quality and value for patients.
- Cone Health is ranked in the top 1 percent nationally for medical excellence in neurological care and first in North Carolina for medical excellence in stroke care by CareChex® in 2017. CareChex is an information service of Quantros, Inc.
“This means that residents of our community are receiving care that is equal to – or often better than – that of an academic medical center. And we’re more convenient and less expensive,” says Cone Health CEO Terry Akin.