Cone Health Hospitals Among Watson Health’s Top 100 Hospitals for 2018
The award recognizes care, efficiency and community value.
The Watson Health 100 Top Hospitals® annual study program names Cone Health among the highest-performing health networks in the nation. Hospitals on the list generally have lower mortality rates, fewer complications and lower costs for patients than health networks not on the list.
The study looks at more than 2,700 U.S. hospitals. It compares them only against similar facilities. Cone Health is in the teaching category. The 100 Top Hospitals study recognizes hospitals that clearly demonstrate top performance in care, efficiency and community value.
According to Watson Health, here are the key performance measures on which 100 Top Hospitals showed the most significant outperformance versus nonwinning peer group hospitals:
• Better Survival Rates: Overall, 100 Top Hospitals winners achieved survival rates that were 26 percentage points better than those of peer hospitals.
• Fewer Complications and Infections: Patients at winning hospitals experienced 13.4 percent fewer complications and 18.7 percent fewer healthcare-associated infections than peer group hospitals.
• Shorter Length of Stay: Winning hospitals had a median severity-adjusted length of stay that was nearly one-half day shorter (0.4) than peers.
• Shorter Emergency Department Wait Times: Overall, winning hospitals delivered median emergency department wait times that were 17 minutes shorter than those of peer group hospitals.
• Lower Inpatient Expenses: Average inpatient costs per discharge were 7 percent lower (a difference of $460 per discharge) at 100 Top Hospitals versus peer group hospitals.
• Higher Profit Overall Margins: Winning hospitals maintained a median operating profit margin that was 10.6 percentage points higher than peer group hospitals.
• Higher Patient Satisfaction: Overall hospital experience, as measured by the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS), was rated 3.4 percent higher for winning hospitals than peer group hospitals.
In addition to the 100 Top Hospitals, the IBM Watson Health study also recognizes the 100 Top Hospitals Everest Award winners. These hospitals earned the 100 Top Hospitals designation and are among the 100 top for rate of improvement over five years. Cone Health is one of 13 Everest Award winners this year.
This marks Cone Health’s second award from Watson Health. Cone Health Heart and Vascular Center was named to the Watson Health list of Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospitals for 2018.