Residency of Operating Room Nursing
Pursue a career in perioperative nursing with guidance and instruction from Cone Health’s operating room (OR) residency. This program is designed for new and experienced RNs with no previous experience in the OR.
What to Expect During OR Residency
Get comprehensive training to begin your new role as an operating room nurse. Through classes, mentoring, and clinical rotations you’ll learn how to skillfully assess patients, coordinate surgery, assist in the operating room and serve as a patient advocate.
Learn the Fundamentals
Build a foundation for OR nursing by attending lectures and practicing your clinical care through skills lab activities.
Continue your residency by spending four months in clinical rotations. Gain exposure to a wide range of surgeries, as a circulator and scrub nurse; monitoring patients during surgery and handing surgical instruments to the surgeon during the procedure.
After completing the residency you'll complete a full orientation and focus on your new role
Support from Experienced Nurses
Benefit from comprehensive support from a OR Resident facilitator in conjunction with a clinical nurse specialist (CNS), coordinates classroom learning and clinical rotations to provide the best possible learning experience for you. Meet with the the facilitator regularly to assess your progress as you work toward independent perioperative nursing.
You’ll also appreciate knowledge, counsel and encouragement from nurse preceptors who work one-on-one with you throughout your clinical rotations.
Who Qualifies for OR Residency?
You may apply for the operating room residency whether you are a new graduate or an experienced nurse if you:
- Are a registered nurse (RN)
- Are or will be licensed by the North Carolina Board of Nursing before the residency begins
- Can commit to one year of full-time employment in a Cone Health operating room
- Will be available to work any shift during your residency.
How to Apply for OR Residency
First, submit an application and resume online through the Cone Health Career Center.
- Select “Nursing” from the Job Interest Category drop-down menu
- Select “RN-Operating Room” from the Job Interest (specific) drop-down menu.
- Select "Registered Nurse - Operating Room Resident" from the list
Then, compile a supplemental application package that includes:
- Operating Room Residency Program Supplement form
- Three references [Word doc] from clinical instructors (new graduates only)
- A sealed copy of your college transcript (new graduates only)
Send the application package to:
OR Residency Program
1200 N. Elm St.
Greensboro, NC 27401-1020
After we’ve reviewed your application materials, you may be asked to interview with Nurse Recruitment and the Operating Room.