Residency of Acute Care Nursing
Gain a strong foundation in Acute Care (medical-surgical) nursing, which is the backbone of every hospital. At Cone Health’s Residency of Acute Care (medical-surgical) Nursing you will advance your education and gain hands-on experience that prepares you to work in a wide range of departments and settings.
What You will Learn
Improve your assessment, technical, organizational and critical-thinking skills so you can provide safe, high-quality, supportive care to a variety medical-surgical patients.
What To Expect
As a new graduate nurse in the Residency of Acute Care (medical-surgical) nursing, you will participate in:
- 14 week residency orientation on your department which will include about 24 hours with a preceptor and 12 hours of specialty specific education each week
- Opportunities for continuing education hours
- Electrocardiogram (EKG) certification
- Medical and Surgical simulation scenarios in our patient simulation lab
- Opportunities to shadow experienced nurses in procedural areas and other areas of interest
- Hire to one of the acute care areas at Alamance Regional Medical Center, Annie Penn Hospital, Moses Cone Hospital and Wesley Long Hospital. Acute care areas may include:
- Medical psychology
- Medical units
- Renal (nephrology)
After the Residency
After completing the 14 week orientation in the Residency of Acute Care (medical-surgical) Nursing, the professional development classes will start. You will continue your learning with paid monthly workshops and time away from the hospital engaging in fun and rejuvenating activities with fellow new grad nurses and a mentor leader.
For More Information
To learn more about the Residency of Acute Care (medical surgical) Nursing, contact our nursing recruitment specialists via email or at 866-266-3767, or email the residency nurse facilitator, Chelsea Young.