Differentiating Types of Projects
Presentation Watch this presentation about the different types of research to determine which path you will pursue.
A Quality Improvement, or QI project is characterized by...Is a process of assessing the current environment in the effort to increase/improve quality, safety, performance, efficiency, processes, and/or outcomes. Quality improvement is focused to a specific area, and may or may not be generalizable outside the practice setting in which it was developed for. Quality Improvement is often characterized as small scale, continuous efforts for improvement.
- Rapid cycle improvement
- Increased/improved quality, safety, performance, efficiency, processes, and/or outcomes
- Focused to a specific area, localized
- Small scale, continuous efforts for improvement
An Evidence Based Practice, or EBP, is defined as ...Providing optimal patient care by translating the current knowledge and research into everyday clinical practice. It is the active pursuit of research utilization. Evidence based practice enables the bedside nurse the infrastructure to access current research, clinical practice guidelines and other pertinent information and translate that information into every day practice for optimal patient care.
- An application of the literature to practice
- Translation of current knowledge
- Active pursuit of research utilization
- Evidence based
Cone Health follows the Iowa Model Revised.
Nursing Research involves...Nursing research is the scientific investigation to explore, understand and explain a variety of phenomena that is vital to the scientific foundation of nursing; ultimately driving practice and patient care outcomes. Essential for nursing research is identifying the gaps in knowledge between published research and current clinical practice, in which new knowledge can be explored and discovered. Scientific inquiry is at the core of nursing research, which can encompass: clinical research, health systems and outcomes research, and nursing education research.
- Scientific investigation
- Drives outcomes.
- Identification of knowledge gaps
- Exploration and discovery
- Core of nursing research
|| Quality Initiative (QI)
|| Evidence-Based Project (EBP)
||Improve Patient Care
||Generate New Knowledge
||How are we doing?
||What is the Best Practice and the evidence to support it?
||What...? (bigger questions)
||Level of Evidences
||Unit level One population
||Representative Larger group
| Human Subjects
| Data Collection
||Search & Appraisal
||Improve process Ongoing
||Add to body of knowledge
||Unit/Agency Results shared locally
||Scientific community Results Published
- Research and quality improvement: different processes, different evidence. Kring DL; MEDSURG Nursing, 2008 Jun; 17 (3): 162-9. Two sources commonly used for evidence-based practice include research findings and quality improvement (QI) reports. However, they often are implemented improperly. It is important for nurses to distinguish between research and QI. A tool for making such a distinction is presented. [Download article]
- Use Table 1 from the article to differentiate your activity.
- Showcasing Differences Between Quality Improvement, Evidence-Based Practice, and Research. Shirey M., Hauck S., Embree J., Kinner T., Schaar G., Phillips L., Ashby S., Swenty C., McCool I.; J Contin Educ Nurs., 2011; 42(2) 57-68. doi: 10.3928/00220124-20100701-01 [link] [Download article]