2019 Call for Abstracts
2019 Cone Health/AHEC Research and Evidence Based Practice (EBP) Symposium:
“The Art & Science of Research within the Interprofessional Team: Advancing Patient Care, Quality, and Safety”
Friday, November 22, 2019 - Greensboro-Marriott Downtown
The Cone Health Nursing Research Council invites you to submit an abstract for presentation at the 2019 Annual Nursing Research and Evidence Based Practice in Greensboro, North Carolina on November 22, 2019.
Please read all rules and requirements prior to submitting your abstract. Abstract submissions cannot be saved in progress. Please be prepared to complete your abstract submission in its entirety.
Submission Deadline: July 8, 2019
Abstract Submission Categories
Abstracts will be accepted in the following categories:
- Research (featuring completed research)
- Podium Presentations
- Poster Presentations
- Evidence-Based Practice/Quality Improvement (QI) projects (featuring novel clinical practices)
- Podium/Panel Presentations
- Poster Presentations
Abstracts are sought from nurses and other healthcare disciplines in all practice and specialty areas including clinical, leadership, educational and innovation. Students are also invited to submit abstracts.
Guidelines for Abstract Submission
Please read the following completely before you submit an abstract:
- All abstracts must be submitted online via the link titled “Submit an Abstract” at the bottom of this page. If your submission is successful, you will be notified on the screen following your submission.
- Submission deadline is July 8, 2019. No abstracts will be accepted after the deadline.
- Your abstract narrative cannot exceed 350 words.
- The review of abstracts is blinded; please avoid the use of identifiers. For example, please use pronouns or titles vs actual health care provider names, locations, etc.
- Abstracts for posters, podiums and panels that have been presented at other conferences will be considered. (1-2 years old)
- You must use the recommended format and headers for your abstract submission to be considered (see information below).
- If your abstract is selected, an author is required to present at the symposium. Registration information for the symposium can be found at the Greensboro AHEC website (www.gahec.org).
- Research abstracts: It is desirable that your study be completed prior to abstract submission, however, if outcomes are completed prior to the symposium, it is permissible to submit the abstract for consideration.
- Evidence-Based Practice/(QI) abstracts: Project must contain a literature review and have been implemented with evaluated outcomes.
- Please list at least two objectives for your poster or podium presentation.
- Communications about submitted abstracts will only be made with the first author.
- Presenters must register for the conference and pay the registration fee. If the presenter is unable to attend the conference, one of the other listed presenters may present. If your abstract is accepted for presentation (oral or poster), the primary presenter will receive a $50 discount off of his or her registration.
- The full abstract does not have to be included on poster presentations.
- Posters are not to exceed 4’x8’. Please ensure your poster will fit within those dimensions. Posters exceeding the size requirements will not be permitted. No Trifolds please.
- Poster set-up time is 7:00am-7:45am the morning of the symposium, Friday, November 22, 2019.
- Posters will be set up in designated area of the conference center. Poster presenters are required to be physically present with their poster during the poster viewing session. This time will be identified in the conference brochure.
- Pushpins will be available. Poster presenters will be expected to provide any other special supplies needed for their poster display. Due to space constraints, no tables will be allowed for the poster displays.
- Please email email@example.com for any questions or change in contact information.
- Cone Health employees should click here for additional specific instructions.
Abstract Review / Selection Criteria
Abstracts are selected by a blind review from an impartial panel and are considered according to the following:
- All components of the abstract are complete and in the correct format. (see Abstract Format Information)
- RESEARCH abstracts are scored on scientific merit, clinical relevance, synthesis of the literature review, quality and implementation of the study design, and evaluation of findings.
- EVIDENCE- BASED PRACTICE/(QI) abstracts are scored on the scope and significance of the practice problem, the purpose, synthesis of findings from the literature, the implementation of the project, the evaluation plan, outcomes, and implications for nursing.
Abstract Format Information for Research
Abstract Format or Research:
- Purpose: State the intent or goal of the research.
- Background/Significance: Describe the knowledge base you are building on, and the importance of the research goal. This section should also include hypotheses or research aims.
- Methods: Identify the research design, sample, instruments, data collection procedures, and analytic approach used.
- Results: Describe findings and include actual analytical data.
- Conclusions and Implications for Practice: Discuss the meaning of the findings. What are the implications of your findings for nursing science, patient outcomes, practice, education, leadership, and/ or policy?
Abstract Format Information “Evidence Based Practice or Quality Improvement”
Abstract format for Evidence‐Based Practice or Quality Improvement Abstracts: (Word Limit is 350)
- Purpose (What): Identify the overall goal of the initiative.
- Background/Significance (Why): Describe the initiative’s relevance and importance in context of the conference goal(s) and why the initiative was necessary.
- Strategy and Implementation (How): Describe the initiative actions and the process of implementation.
- Evaluation/Outcomes (So what): Describe analytic findings and include actual evaluation data demonstrating the value of the initiative change (success or failure).
- Conclusions/Implications for Practice (And now): Discuss specific implications for nursing practice.
Notification of Acceptance/Poster Presenter Information
- Notification of selections will be emailed to the primary presenter by Friday, July 27th.
- Submitters accepted for a poster presentation will need to submit a .pdf of their poster by October 14, 2019 to be eligible for a poster award.
- Cone Health employees accepted for a poster presentation, must use the Cone Health poster format and complete the internal poster review process (see Nursing Research Council Website https://conehealth.sharepoint.com/teams/nursing-research/SitePages/nursingresearch.aspx and click ‘Poster Presentations’)
- Registration and educational forms will be available on the Greensboro AHEC website (www.gahec.org).
Submit Your Abstract