3 on 3 Basketball Tournament Rules
$300 CASH PRIZE FOR WINNING TEAM!
Tournament Date: May 5th, 2018
Game Times: 9:00am – 2:00pm
T-shirt Deadline: April 20th, 2018
Entry Fee: $60 per team
Jersey: Each team should have matching shirts
Roster Limit: 4 players
Good sportsmanship and cooperation is both anticipated and expected. Conduct should follow the Burlington Recreation and Parks court respect policy and Alamance County YMCA core values. The team captain is expected to aid in controlling teammates’ and team followers’ conduct and to represent his/her team as spokesperson in case of appeals to the court monitor. Poor sportsmanship may result in penalties against the team. Failure to comply with the Sportsmanship Policy, with acts such as fighting, taunting, intimidating or verbally attacking a tournament official, player or spectator may lead to removal of that player, team and/or spectator from the tournament. Additional suspension for such acts will be determined by event organizers on a case by case basis.
General Tournament Structure:
- Played on half court by two teams of three players on the floor for each team.
- Players must be 16 years of age or older.
- Each team must submit a roster during the registration period. No additions, deletions and/or changes may be made after the conclusion of the registration period.
- Teams must be at their court at the scheduled time. A three minute forfeit time will be enforced once the game time arrives. If a team does not have three players on the court at the end of this 3 minute period, the team will be forced to forfeit the game.
- The tournament will begin with pool play. Pool play will determine the seeding for the single elimination tournament.
- The first team to score 21 points wins (no win by two), or the team that has the most points after the 20 minute time limit wins.
- A tie score at the end of regulation will result in a 2 minute overtime period. A coin flip will determine who gets the ball first in overtime. If still tied, subsequent 2 minute periods will occur until the tie is broken.
- The line before half court represents the “take back” line. Successful shots taken from outside the line are worth 2 points, while baskets made inside the line will be worth 1 point.
- There are no 3 second lane calls
- The offensive player receiving the ball following the “check” must pass the ball in to initiate play. The ball is checked at the “take back” line following baskets, out of bounds and fouls.
- Time will not be stopped to discuss any call
- Player substitutions will be permitted on
any dead ball where the ball has to be checked
- Each team will have one 30 second timeout per game
- Dunking/hanging on the rim is not allowed. A person that dunks will be forced to sit out the rest of the current game and the following game.
- The Tournament Director has the right to make a ruling on any issue that is not covered within these rules.
- A coin toss will be used to determine who gets the first possession. Teams will alternate possessions on made baskets. The team who gets the first possession of the second half will be determined by the possession arrow.
- All jump balls will be assessed using the alternating possessions rule.
- On any change of possession, the offensive player must take the ball past the “take back” line before a shot can be attempted. Both feet must be completely behind the line. If a team forgets to take it back and makes a basket, the basket will not count, and the opposing team takes possession of the ball. If the shot misses, then the ball is live and both teams still need to take it back. Change of possession means any defensive rebound (including an air-ball), a steal, a missed shot, or a missed free throw.
- Physically or verbally threatening or abusing the court monitor is cause for immediate ejection. Players will not be allowed to compete in the remainder of the tournament upon ejection. There will be no additional players added after the roster is submitted during registration.
- Games will be self-officiated
- No free throws will be shot for fouls. The ball will be checked at the “take back” line.
To register, please click "Register Online" above.
If you have questions or need more information, please call (336) 538-7970.
Directions: enter the main entrance of the YMCA and someone at the desk will direct you.
Check out other Be Healthy Now events at www.behealthynowalamance.com.