Skip to Content

Medical Records

Electronic Medical Records

Your medical record documents your health and health care. It may include information such as:

  • Your health history
  • Imaging and lab test results
  • Treatments you received
  • Medicine you’ve been prescribed
  • Any allergies you have

With Cone HealthLink—our electronic medical record system—you and your Cone Health care team gain secure, real-time access to your complete Cone Health medical records. That means both you and your care team have a current, complete picture of your health so you benefit from:

  • Enhanced safety, quality and continuity of care
  • Improved communication
  • Immediate availability of information to assist your care team in prompt diagnosis and treatment
  • Increased opportunities for your health care providers to coordinate your care

Your Rights Regarding Your Medical Records/Protected Health Information

You have the right to review and receive copies of your medical records, subject to legal restrictions and any appropriate copying or retrieval charge(s). You can also designate someone to obtain your records on your behalf. Cone Health will not release your medical records without your consent, except as required or permitted by North Carolina and federal law.


MyChart is a free online tool provided by Epic—Cone Health’s electronic medical record and billing system—that serves as a centralized location for your health information. MyChart enables you to see key parts of your medical record, communicate with your physician and engage in your own health care.

You can also use MyChart to manage the protected health information of other family members, such as an aging parent (with his or her permission) or child, by setting up a proxy account.

Learn more about MyChart, the proxy process, and to set up your free account today!

Obtain Copies of Your Medical Records

Birth Certificate Requests

Copies of birth certificates should be requested at the Register of Deeds in the county in which the individual was born.

If you would like to receive copies of your medical record or have them sent to someone else, please download and complete the Cone Health Patient Access Form. To request medical records from Behavioral Health Hospital or receive medical records that must be certified, please use the Authorization for Disclosure of PHI.

There is no charge to have your medical records sent to another healthcare provider. For other requests, fees may apply. Allow up 10-14 business days to receive copies of your medical records after receipt of your written request.



Phone/Fax Requests

If your request is for an upcoming medical appointment or procedure, please call 336-832-8677 and we can send your information to the appropriate medical facility.

If you need to request medical records from a Cone Health Medical Office or Practice, please fax or return the request form to your physician’s office/practice.

If you have questions about requesting your medical records from a Cone Health Hospital, please contact the following Health Information Management offices:

  • Phone: (336) 832-8677
  • Fax: (336) 840-2435

Email Requests

You may also email your request/questions to Please include your name, date of birth, what date you were treated and the facility where you were treated

Mail Requests:

You may mail any request to:

Cone Health
Health Information Management Department
1200 N. Elm St.
Greensboro, NC 27401

Additional Information Regarding Your Privacy

Cone Health honors a patient’s right to confidentiality of medical information as provided under federal and North Carolina law.

Federal HIPAA Privacy Rules: These Federal rules mandate when protected health information may be used or disclosed without authorization (payment by insurance plans, treatment, or health care operations). Please see our Notice of Privacy Practices for additional information.

Record Retention: North Carolina Law requires most medical records to be kept for a minimum of eleven (11) years. In some cases, however, records may be kept longer. We will let you know if your records are unavailable.

Copying Fees: If you are requesting that your medical records be disclosed/released or sent to other hospitals, clinics, or physicians for further medical care, no copying fees will be charged. However, copying fees may apply when you request for other purposes.

Requesting Records on a Deceased Family Member: Please provide a probated will naming the Personal Representative (Executor) or a court order appointing the Personal Representative (Administrator) of the Estate authorizing the representative to act on behalf of the Estate. (Contact the Probate Court in the County which the person last resided.) A death certificate may also be required.

Conservatorship: In order to receive the records of a person who has been deemed incapacitated by the Court, an Order of Appointment from the Probate Court is needed. (Contact the Probate Court in the county which the person last resided.)

Guardianship: Legal guardianship papers must be produced in order to request medical records for persons determined by the court to be incompetent. This includes adults and disabled children (age 17 and under).

Health Care Agent: A Health Care Power of Attorney must be produced to request medical records for incapacitated adults by the health care agent.

Who can legally sign for medical records?

  • Durable Power of Attorney: A durable power of attorney (POA) that includes health care powers may be presented to access protected health information of a patient other than yourself. A pre-approval is required by the Release of Information staff. The POA must have specific language that allows for access to protected health information.
  • Health Care Power of Attorney: A Health Care Power of Attorney (HCPOA) designated health care agent may sign a request or release only in the instance that the patient is incapacitated.
  • Guardian of the Person: A Guardian of the Person may sign for the access or release of protected health information for designated patients.
  • Minors: A parent or legal guardian of a patient who is 17 years old and under may sign for access or authorization of medical record/protected health information. Under North Carolina law there are certain instances when the minor (age 17 and under) may access, release or restrict records without parental consent.

Amendments To Your Health Information

If you believe that information in your health record is incorrect or incomplete, you may ask to have the information modified, added or deleted. Your request must be made in writing to the Health Information Management Department of Cone Health. Your request may be approved or denied after thorough review by the physician. This process may take up to 60 days to complete, as permitted by Federal Law.

Send the completed form (Request for Amendment of Health Information [PDF]) back to:

Cone Health
Health Information Management Department
1200 N. Elm St.
Greensboro, NC 27401