Busy or Overwhelmed This Season? 5 Quick Tips to Reduce Stress
It’s a busy time of year. Has your to-do list exhausted all of your holiday cheer? These 5 quick tips can help you reduce stress:
- Breathe! Stop and take 4 to 5 deep breaths. It’s easy to get caught up in the to-do lists and the people coming and going – but then we forget to stop and just take a deep breath. Deep, mindful breathing can help your nervous system relax and reset.
- Exercise. Take an exercise break, even if you only have time to move for 5 to 10 minutes. You can exercise by yourself or with your friends or family. Exercise gives you time to step away, increases positive endorphins in your brain and burns some of those extra holiday calories.
- Light a candle. Overhead lighting, especially fluorescent or very bright lights, can lead to overstimulation of your nervous system. Instead, dim the lights and light a candle to create a more peaceful atmosphere.
- Laugh out loud! When is the last time you laughed out loud? Laughing improves your mood, releases tension in your muscles and improves your overall stress responses. Try watching a funny TV show or hanging out with friends who make you laugh.
- Listen to music. Turn on your favorite music, sing-along and maybe even bust a move! Music, singing and dancing all give you another way to relax and let go – even if it’s just for a moment.
Taking a quick time-out to reduce stress can do a world of good for you and your loved ones. Take a moment this holiday season to unwind, let go and have fun!
About the Author
Megan Norriss, MS, ACSM EP-C, RYT 200, is a well-being manager with Cone Health Employee Wellness.