Oncology Nurse Navigators
In many cases, the nurse navigator is the first person you’ll talk with at Cone Health Cancer Center. Your nurse navigator—a registered nurse with years of experience caring for people affected by cancer—is your advocate, educator, cheerleader, guide and care coordinator. Count on him or her to help you:
- Get to the right appointments at the right time
- Understand your specific diagnosis and treatment options
- Communicate with your doctors
- Access educational materials
- Find community resources
- Cope with emotional challenges
- Manage side effects and symptoms
- Get answers when you’re not sure who to call
You’ll see your navigator at your first Cancer Center appointment and build a relationship throughout your cancer journey, especially as you reach important milestones, such as your first and last treatments.
Dawn Placke, RN, BSN
is a Gastrointestinal (GI) Oncology Nurse
Navigator at the Cone Health Cancer Center at Wesley Long.