Summer Grilling Recipe: PB&J Sliders
When the weather warms up and the days get long, many folks turn to the grill to prepare meals. Grilling is a great American pastime. It brings people together in celebration, so why not celebrate with some healthier and more creative options that you, your family and your friends will enjoy?
Mini beef and mushroom burgers topped with roma tomato and roasted grape and jalapeno jam on pretzel rolls. Served with watercress fennel salad.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 Portions
- 8 slices plum tomato, sliced ¼ inch
- 8 small pretzel rolls (about 1 ½ ounces per roll)
Roasted Grape and Jalapeno Jam
Prepare a day or two ahead
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved, seeds removed
- 1/3 cup red seedless grapes (about 10-12 grapes)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2½ teaspoons shallots, sliced
- Pinch Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon canola olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice (not from concentrate)
- 1½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon honey
Orange Chipotle Vinaigrette
Can be prepared a day or two ahead
- 1½ teaspoons orange marmalade
- ½ teaspoon chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced fine
- ¼ teaspoon clove fresh garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon shallots, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice (not from concentrate)
- 2 teaspoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Beef and Portobello Burger
Can be prepared a day ahead
- 7 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 portobello mushrooms, chopped fine (about 1½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon whole garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Watercress and Fennel Salad
- 3 cups watercress (packed)
- 6 tablespoons fresh fennel, shaved
- 4 tablespoons red onions, sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons Granny Smith apples, julienne
- 4 tablespoons red delicious apples, julienne
- 3 tablespoons orange chipotle vinaigrette (recipe above)
- Roasted Grape and Tomato Jam: In a small bowl combine jalapeno pepper halves, grapes, shallots, garlic clove, salt and oil. Toss to coat well. Place mixture, in single layer, onto a cookie sheet. Roast at 400°F for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a sauce pot combine roasted vegetable mixture, orange juice, vinegar and honey. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place mixture into a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Refrigerate jam overnight to allow flavors to blend and mixture to thicken.
- Orange Chipotle Vinaigrette: In a bowl or blender combine all the ingredients EXCEPT for the olive oil. Blend well. Slowly whisk or stream in oil and mix well.
- Watercress and Fennel Salad: In a large bowl combine watercress, fennel, red onions and both apples. At service time add chipotle orange vinaigrette and toss well to coat. Serve 1 cup per person.
- Slider Assembly and Service: In a preheat non-stick skillet or well-oiled grill place slider patties. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until desired doneness.
- Lightly toast pretzel rolls.
- For each slider, spread 1 teaspoon roasted grape and jalapeno jam on heel of roll. Top with 1 cooked slider patty and 1 slice plum tomato.
- Spread another 1 teaspoon jam on crown of roll and place on sandwich to close.
- Serve 2 sliders and 1 cup watercress and fennel salad per person.
sat. fat 50g
Thanks to our partners at Sodexo for making mindful eating so delicious!