When you experience speech, language or swallowing difficulties, turn to the certified speech-language pathologists (SLPs) at Cone Health.
Conditions We Treat
Rely on us for diagnosis and treatment for a wide range of conditions, including:
- Speech, language or cognitive disorders resulting from stroke, brain injury or other medical conditions
- Swallowing disorders (dysphagia)
- Voice disorders, including vocal cord conditions
Depend on your Cone Health SLP for a full evaluation to determine your strengths and limitations in the following areas:
- Cognition, including memory, attention, organization and problem-solving ability
- Language, including comprehension and expression
- Speech, including production and clarity
- Swallowing ability
- Voice, including vocal quality
You and your SLP will use the results of your assessment to set goals and develop an individualized care plan to fit your needs.
Speech Therapy Services We Offer
Depending on your condition, your plan of care may include:
- Aphasia therapy – Helps restore language and communication abilities
- Oral and swallowing exercises – Improve your function
- Reinforcement of positioning and strategies to ease swallowing abilities
- Speech training after a laryngectomy (removal of the larynx)
- VitalStim® Therapy – Uses gentle electrical stimulation and exercises to improve your ability to eat and swallow
- Vocal hygiene education – Offers strategies on caring for your voice and vocal cords
- Voice therapy – Shapes healthy vocal behavior or assists in healing after surgery or injury
Speech Therapy for Cancer Patients
If you’re diagnosed with cancer of the head or neck, meet with an SLP before radiation or surgery to learn how your treatment may affect your communication or swallowing abilities. Your therapist may recommend you begin exercises early to reduce your chances of swallowing-related complications.
Learn more about cancer care at Cone Health.