Am I a Candidate for Bariatric Surgery?
Discover whether bariatric surgery at Cone Health can help you improve your health.
Do I Qualify For Weight-Loss Surgery?
You may be eligible for bariatric surgery at Cone Health if you’re at least 18 years old and have either:
- A body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above, or
- A BMI of 35 to 39 with comorbidities—chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, heart disease, sleep apnea or type 2 diabetes
In addition, you need to have previously attempted other medical weight-loss programs and be:
- Highly motivated to achieve lifestyle changes
- Supported by your family and friends
- Free from conditions that would make surgery a high risk
- Psychologically stable with realistic expectations of your outcome
- Not dependent on alcohol or drugs, unless involved in a recognized treatment program with at least one year of sobriety
Your insurance company may have additional requirements. Contact your provider to learn more.
Non-Surgical Options for Weight Loss
Explore additional Cone Health services that can help you manage your weight:
How Will Bariatric Surgery Benefit Me?
You can expect to lose 40 to 65 percent of your excess weight after bariatric surgery. But weight-loss surgery and the healthful lifestyle changes you’ll make affect more than just the number on the scale. In most cases, they also improve—and sometimes completely resolve—conditions such as:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Joint pain
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Type 2 diabetes
Bariatric surgery patients also report an improved quality of life with better mobility, greater self-confidence, more social and economic opportunities, and a reduced need for medications.
Weigh Your Options
Review key facts, compare your options and examine your feelings related to weight-loss surgery with help from our interactive Decision Point guide, “Should I Have Weight-Loss Surgery?”