Volunteering at the Cone Health Women's & Children's Center
Our year-round volunteer program for adults and college students helps fulfill our mission to provide exceptional, compassionate care within a warm and welcoming setting.
Who Are We Looking For?
Our ideal volunteer candidate is someone who genuinely wants to serve others and make a difference in the daily lives of our patients, visitors and staff. Every assignment completed by a volunteer supports our efforts to provide exemplary care. Our volunteers know that there are no small tasks when it comes to serving others.
Please be aware that we expect a minimum commitment of six months and/or 60-hours of service from our new volunteers. To ensure the safety of our volunteers and those we serve, we have the following requirements:
- Commit to one shift per week.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old. (Sorry, we are unable to accept high school students.)
- Application packet must be completed and include two references.
- Applicants must provide photo identification.
- Applicant must have proof of immunizations, including flu vaccine.
- Background check must meet criteria for consideration.
- Complete volunteer orientation and annual safety refreshers.
- Volunteers must wear a volunteer uniform.
- Volunteers must wear the hospital-issued ID badge whenever on duty.
- Applicants must meet other requirements as deemed necessary by prevailing health and safety policies.
Court-Appointed Community Service:We are not able to accept individuals who have been given court-appointed community service. The Volunteer Center, at (336) 373-1633, may have other options for you to consider.
Volunteer Service Areas
Most positions are staffed Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Main Lobby Information Desk: Volunteers greet visitors as they arrive, offer wheelchair transport and escort guests to their destination. Some light computer use and assistance with our visitor management program are also part of this role..
Post-Partum Discharge Escorts: Volunteers help discharged patients get their personal belongings to their car.
Home-Based Opportunities: Still have a need to give to others, but just can't make a commitment to be on our campus? We accept donations for a variety of items.
- Layette items: If you can sew, knit or crochet, we have a need for newborn layette items such as quilts, blankets, caps, gowns, sleepers, etc.
- Handmade pillows: You can make pillows for our surgical patients. These personal pillows really assist in recovery.
- Handmade greeting cards: Decorative cards for appreciation, sympathy, “thinking of you” and even blank are shared with our patients. Please no religious symbolism.
- Puzzle books: Donate crossword, word search, Sudoku puzzle books or DVDs for our patients on extended bed rest.