Volunteering at Women's Hospital
Women's Hospital proudly serves our community as the first freestanding specialty hospital for women and infants in North Carolina.
Our year-round volunteer program for adults and college students helps fulfill our mission to provide exceptional, compassionate care within a warm and welcoming setting.
Who Are We Looking For?
Our ideal volunteer candidate is someone who genuinely wants to serve others and make a difference in the daily lives of our patients, visitors and staff. Every assignment completed by a volunteer supports our efforts to provide exemplary care. Our volunteers know that there are no small tasks when it comes to serving others.
Please be aware that we expect a minimum commitment of six months and/or 60-hours of service from our new volunteers. To ensure the safety of our volunteers and those we serve, we have the following requirements:
- Commit to one shift per week.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old. (Sorry, we are unable to accept high school students.)
- Application packet must be completed and include two references.
- Applicants must provide photo identification.
- Applicant must have proof of immunizations, including seasonal vaccines.
- Background check must meet criteria for consideration.
- Complete volunteer orientation and annual safety refreshers.
- TB screening and flu vaccination must be completed.
- Volunteers must purchase and wear a volunteer uniform.
- Volunteers must wear the hospital-issued ID badge whenever on duty.
- Applicants must meet other requirements as deemed necessary by prevailing health and safety policies.
Shadowing Clinical Professionals: Women's Hospital has a commitment to our Greensboro area nursing schools, high school health career organizations and UNC medical school students to provide clinical experiences and exposure. Student requesting to shadow a clinician must make the contact and agreement with the professional, complete the shadow application and a brief orientation.
Court-Appointed Community Service:We are not able to accept individuals who have been given court-appointed community service. The Volunteer Center, at (336) 373-1633, may have other options for you to consider.
Volunteer Service Areas
NOTICE: We appreciate the many inquiries we get each week from volunteers eager to cuddle and sit with our NICU babies. Currently all our NICU Nanny positions are full with a waiting list of existing volunteers looking to move into those shifts. We encourage interested volunteers to help us in other areas of the hospital until a NICU position opens. Thank you.
Most positions are staffed Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Main Lobby Information Desk: Volunteers greet visitors as they arrive, assist with directions and offer wheelchair transport. Some light computer use and assistance with our visitor management program are also part of this role..
Post-Partum Discharge Escorts: Volunteers help discharged patients get their personal belongings to their car.
Recovery Room (Post-Anesthesia Care Unit): This is an ideal placement for those considering a healthcare career. Prior hospital experience is preferred. Volunteers provide light patient care, assist with admissions or discharges, and serve as liaisons between the families and the medical staff.
Surgery Waiting Desk: Volunteers assist families waiting for surgical patients. They serve as the liaison between the families and the medical staff as well as provide support and comfort to families. Volunteers also support our visitor management program and assist with directions..
Home-Based Opportunities: Still have a need to give to others, but just can't make a commitment to be on our campus? We accept donations for a variety of items.
- Layette items: If you can sew, knit or crochet, we have a need for newborn layette items such as quilts, blankets, caps, gowns, sleepers, etc.
- Handmade pillows: You can make pillows for our surgical patients. These personal pillows really assist in recovery.
- Handmade greeting cards: Decorative cards for appreciation, sympathy, “thinking of you” and even blank are shared with our patients. Please no religious symbolism.
- Puzzle books: Donate crossword, word search, Sudoku puzzle books or DVDs for our patients on extended bed rest.
- Magazines: Must be current within the last six months, intact with personal information removed.
- Wedding gowns: While we do utilize "Angel Gowns" made from pre-owned wedding gowns, we do not accept the gowns at the hospital. Home based volunteers who participate in this project are limited in number and prefer to select gowns on their own.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Reunion: Our annual celebration of our NICU graduates is typically held in the late summer or early fall. For more information about this event, contact our Marketing department at (336) 832-8131.
Women's Only 5K Walk & Run: Our nationally recognized event is focused on raising money for mammography scholarships for the uninsured women in our community. To volunteer, go to our event's website and complete a volunteer application online.
801 Green Valley Road
Greensboro, NC 27408
Ginger L. Penley, Director, Volunteer Services