Annie Penn Hospital Teen Volunteer Program
The Annie Penn Hospital Teen Volunteer Program is a project of the Annie Penn Auxiliary. The six-week summer program is competitive, drawing from all area high schools, private schools, and homeschooled students. The program is intentionally small in order to provide the best possible healthcare experiences for the chosen teens.
The 2018 application deadline is Friday, April 27th, at 5:00 pm. A team consisting of Auxiliary Board members and the Director of Volunteer Services rates each teen application, and accepted teens are notified the second week of May.
Teen Volunteer Requirements
Please review the below qualifications before obtaining an application packet.
To qualify as an Annie Penn Hospital teen volunteer you must:
- Be at least 15 years of age by June 1.
- Have at least a B average in school. (Verified by a copy of the most recent report card)
- Be willing to volunteer for a minimum of five of the six weeks of the program. (6 hours each week minimum.)
- Complete a Teen Volunteer Application
- Attach a 100-word essay detailing the unique qualities and initiative that you possess that makes you exceptional. Why should we select you to participate in the teen volunteer program? (This requirement is for first time applicants only.)
- A school picture (wallet size), snapshot or copy of driver's license.
- Two completed school recommendation forms, OR two letters of reference (teacher, principal, guidance counselor, coach, etc.). These should be returned in a sealed envelope with the recommender's signature across the back flap.
- Please bring copies that you will be able to leave with us. We will not be able to make copies of your documentation. NOTE: Recommenders should not be related to the applicant.
How To Become A Teen Volunteer
Download an application or pick one up at any Annie Penn Hospital Information Desks, beginning Wednesday, March 1, 2018. The 2018 application deadline is Friday, April 27st, at 5:00 pm. A team consisting of Auxiliary Board members and the Director of Volunteer Services rates each teen application, and accepted teens are notified the first week in May.
Each accepted teen volunteer candidate must also provide the following:
A copy of your immunization records:
- 1stand 2ndMMR
- Tdap (within past 10 years)
- Hepatitis B (need this record if you have had the series)
- 1st and 2ndVaricella (chickenpox) vaccines or blood test to prove immunity
- A medical history form (download here)
If chosen for the teen program, you will be asked to attend a Teen Orientation to be held on Monday, June 11th, from 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. or on Thursday, June 14th, from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. Both sessions will be held in the APH Education Center on the hospital’s fourth floor. You must be present for one of these orientations in order to volunteer – no exceptions.
Annie Penn Hospital
618 S. Main Street
Reidsville, NC 27320
Director of Volunteer Services: Sharon Troxler