Annie Penn Hospital Teen Volunteer Program
The Annie Penn Hospital Teen Volunteer Program is a project of the Annie Penn Auxiliary. The six-week summer program is competitive, drawing from all area high schools, private schools, and homeschooled students. The program is intentionally small in order to provide the best possible healthcare experiences for the chosen teens.
Teen Volunteer Requirements
Please review the below qualifications before applying.
To qualify as an Annie Penn Hospital teen volunteer you must:
- Be at least 15 years of age by June 1.
- Have at least a B average in school. (Verified by a copy of the most recent report card)
- Be willing to volunteer for a minimum of five of the six weeks of the program. (6 hours each week minimum.)
- Be willing to attend all events as required on this calendar document.
- Complete the online volunteer application.
- Upload a 100-word essay detailing the unique qualities and initiative that you possess that makes you exceptional. Why should we select you to participate in the teen volunteer program? (This requirement is for first time applicants only.)
- Submit two completed school recommendation forms. All recommendations will be submitted electronically. They must come from an official email address (school, employer, business, etc.) to prove authenticity. NOTE: recommenders should not be related to the applicant.
- Please be sure that anything you mail to us is something we can keep. We will not be able to make copies of and return your documentation. NOTE: Recommenders should not be related to the applicant.
How To Become A Teen Volunteer
Complete our online form to apply online, beginning Wednesday, March 2, 2020. The 2020 application deadline is Friday, April 24th, at 5:00 pm. A team consisting of Auxiliary Board members and the Manager of Volunteer Services rates each teen application, and accepted teens are notified the first week in May.
Each accepted teen volunteer candidate must also provide the following at orientation:
A copy of your immunization records including:
- 1stand 2ndMMR
- Tdap (within past 10 years)
- Hepatitis B (need this record if you have had the series)
- 1st and 2ndVaricella (chickenpox) vaccines or blood test to prove immunity
- A medical history form (download here)
If chosen for the teen program, you will be asked to attend a Teen Orientation to be held on Thursday, June 11th, from noon – 4:30 p.m. This will be held in the APH Education Center on the hospital’s fourth floor. You must be present for orientation in order to volunteer – no exceptions.
Annie Penn Hospital
618 S. Main Street
Reidsville, NC 27320
Manager of Volunteer Services and Community Outreach: Julie Wagoner